Monday 20 June 2011

20th June return to running

I know I wrote before about how I thought a big part of fitness improvement is mental improvement as much as physical. The other night be it only 35mins in total but a good session, I went out to do some 400m reps. Again on the undulating grass track but instead of about 80-81 second laps like a few days a go, they were run at between 77 and 79 seconds. The last 3 at 77 seconds which is ok. An improvement considering I was doing them 4-5 seconds slower just 3 days a go!
Let's face it I havn't become that much fitter over night but my brain has got familiar with running a bit faster recently so that could be the difference. Also it's only the second ever 'track' session I've done so I'd hope to get these down to about 70seconds in a few weeks. It does seem like a big jump but mentaly I'm almost out of practice with running fast so it will take some adjustments and trials before consistently doing them fast.
As I need a rest from all the distance I may as well get faster by sticking to the short and sharp attitude for a while.

Saturday saw me try my first mountain bike experiance before next week. Let's be honest I was like a little baby decending on the bikes but it was a hell of a rush in the mud and rain so loved it really, a little more practice and I'd have the gutts to let go a bit more....but not yet!

After doing nothing Sunday I got up this morning and ran 4miles, started steady and pushed on towards the end. It's a hilly course but it's always the same 4mile I do when checking out times so it's consistent. Anywey it was 25.29 which isn't that bad actually, I was fearing for the worst after very little running and way too much eating of crap since the ultra. I think when I ran a 35min 10k in training once (a while back) my 4mile route was only done then at about 24.30s so a little bit of work and I'll get stronger hopefully. Slowly going to start building the running again now, gradual milage build up but for a while I'm going to do the 400 session and the 4mile session weekly to see if times come down.

For today:
Morning - 4miles tempo (in future this is going to me flat out time trial)
Afternoon - 3miles to my circuit training class then 3 miles home.
= 10miles for today

No comments:

Post a Comment