Thursday 22 December 2011

My views on running a sub 3hr Marathon

I don't know if it was a correct way or a wrong way....not that I think there is a right or wrong with running a sub 3hr marathon, everyone is different but the way I ran 2.59 marathon was with high volume. However looking back I'm sure I did way too much and in turn went in to the Marathon very tired, just scrapping through under 3hrs! It was a disgusting pain from about 16m and I think the only reason I did it was because for some reason I've never been so determined!

Looking back I was running about 15/20 miles over last Christmas then about 12 weeks out I started upping the mileage. About 8 weeks in I peaked and did a 1.18 or 1.19 half marathon and was flying - I was ready then! Up to this I'd done a couple 17 milers and I always did a weekly marathon pace (6:45min/mile), I think the longest being about 12miles hilly at 6.45min/mile. I think I was running about 50miles a week at this point with a long run, a marathon pace run and a flat out run weekly filled in with 2 or 3 very slow runs. If the marathon was then I would have been closer 2.50 I'm 100%!

Here comes the c**k up I think. I was buzzing after the half marathon borderline too confident and thought bugger it I'll enter an Ultra! I entered Cardiff Ultra (50miles) 4 weeks after the marathon, so instead of tapering for the last few weeks I increased the milage 80 miles and even ran one 110mile week! Looking back that's sick! I tapered for a week before the marathon, in turn struggling through the worst pain I've had in a marathon to scrape under 3hrs! Never again am I doing that sort of milage 3 weeks before a marathon. I ended up doing well in the ultra but that wasn't the goal - the goal was to smash 3hrs!

Rounding it up, for me I could have trained for a marathon in 8 weeks and arguble posted a very good time and definitely no more than 50-60 miles. Doing this milage for a week or two at most. Next time maybe..

Everyone is different but for me I'd say no more than 50miles and I've met people running 2.50 marthons from 25 miles a week or so they said. Iv'e also met people running 100+ and doing about 3.15. I don't think people realise they've done too much untill it's too late, probably best to be slightly under done than over.

There we are, enough said - Merry Christmas & Happy New year

1 comment:

  1. I agree Rhys that everyone is different and some will never run a great marathon but will be very fast over a half. For me its all over 100 and i have run 2hr 32mins off this before with a 3 week taper of 80,65 and 20 + race. I have tried the 50 mile weeks and done more quality but volume for me has always worked. I have been running for 15 years now and done 35 marathons and have an average of 2hr 51mins for all of them but i continue to learn from everyone so you need to do 2-3 marathons before you will know what your body can cope with and how to train correctly for it. even the great fail to start, Gebresalasie failed 2-3 times before he got it right. sub 3 is special but being patient before really going for it is the key and being able to stick to the predicted pace early on is very important as there is no recovery from going off to fast. Hope this benefits anyone reading and makes them aware of the mistakes that i have certainly made by going to fast and trying different things to discover your true potential. Mike Evans

    ReplyDelete