Saturday 7 May 2011

Taper and Feeling Fatigue

Having only done an easy day thurs a day off friday and just 30mins worth of running today I've really cut back last few days and its going to continue for the next 2 weeks so hopefully by the ultra I'll be like a caged animal ready to go!

A slight concern is that over the last couple days is I've ate a serious amount of rubbish and in serious amounts! I've noticed previously that this sometimes happens when my body starts to crave a complete rest, so basically for me this is an overtraining symptome, which at the moment is not what I need. So last few days has been much less training but eating more, and more junk. If the ultra had already been then I'd just take say a month off just x training and running small amounts (like normal people) and eat what I want to flush the whole thing out then re-start. It does make me put weight on on the break but after a rest from everything I'm then gasping to enter something big again and I just get back in shape again. I did this after the Coastal challenge and put 7 lbs on in 6 weeks over xmas then eyed up the london marathon, trained hard and returned to my previous 11st in no time. I think I'm pretty fussy on what I eat to, so the rest from being more picky is also a nice one. This works for me and going back to winging it, I've actually run some good times when I've been on this recovery period. So for the next two weeks im going to be careful not to push the training too much so that after a couple days my nutrition will get back to normal and I can focus on the ultra.

Im not 100% when I'm going to do what this week but it's definetly going to be just one session a day, the way I've been training recently has been pretty full on so one session a day is a cut for me, especially if I add in one or two complete days off. As for today I actually ran a training pb and it was in to a head wind so maybe my tiredness is more mental fatigue rather than physical from all the training since xmas but mental fatigue is just the same as being physically fatigued because when mentally I'm starting to tire pushing it in training becomes hard. Its been full on now for over 5 months so as much as I'm up for the ultra and the new challenge a lot the 4-5 weeks of just major easing off is going to be essential for me, before eyeing up something else it can also be some catch up time on some boozy nights out ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment