Monday 2 May 2011

Electrolyte problems!

After a change of plan from having today off I decided best to get the long run done so left at 8am and having ended up having yesterday off completely felt fairly good. I thought I'd do about 28-30miles, ended up 28 but I'll take that.

I've been thinking recently about what sort of pace to run this 50mile. At the moment I'm think I could handle approx 7mph but its hard to say having never done one before and having never run more than 30miles. The pain just seems to get worse and worse from about 20 onwards so it's really hard for me to say. Up until about 21 miles today I was very comfortable at 7mph, infact I was getting nearer to 8mph which I'm sure is too fast for me to even consider for 50miles - it's naive of me to even consider 8mph so I'm playing with 6 - 7mph for the ultra. Iv'e also got to get this 1st is 1st 2nd is last attitude out of my head big time!! I just want to get around but there's this evil voice in my head that keeps turning things in to competitions! arghhh

From about 21 - 24miles today my stomach was really dodgy, and I'm putting it down to the electrolyte drink I've got. From the first sip today I was pulling those faces you pull after drinking some sort of cheap alcoholic shot. Unlike the tablets I used before, these ones were + caffine and I didn't like it. I think my stomach got better from 24-28 because I stopped drinking it, this I cant do so I've got to fix this problem and find new electrolyte tablets or powder. Any ideas?

The stomach issue slowed me to a walk at one point and it hit my pace but I'm not to bothered I slowed down, I'm only practicing and I still got the job done which was the main thing and I did average 7mph. It could be hard to keep that pace up for another 20 od miles but it's hard to say because towards the end today, despite hurting I actually got a bit faster again.

Recently I've also found eating big meals straight after the long sessions hard so I've had to get a recovery drink down me again today so that theres something going down, I just want to drink cold water so maybe I'm not drinking enough on the long runs but I think I have been drinking enough so not sure 100% there. All I do know is im craving one of them old school '99s' with a flake of course, so I'm going to find one of them this afternoon.

On the whole it was better than the last 29/30miles I ran so it's progress and it gets me to 63 miles this week with 3 days to go. Due to the Cardiff trip I have to make, if I get to 90 od for the week I'll be happy enough but 100 would be nice before cutting back for the last 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment