Sunday 15 May 2011

Final run!

With the 50mile now only a week out, today I did my last run of any meaning. It was a 12mile pretty much in race day kit. Usually I wouldn't bother with the camelbak for such distance but today I did because I wanted to test out a couple of things, one of which was my new electrolyte tablets. These were better tasting anywey but still nothing on plain and simple water, never the less it's something I need to take so I will. Another bonus from these ones were that the tablets dissolved fast in the water (with the others i had to stir). First bit sorted.

Secondly, when I ran one of my long runs I remember the camelbak starting to rub against my shoulder. So what I wanted to try out was wearing my compression t-shirt (pretty much looks like a posing top for the guys who want big biceps) because it's tight so acts like another layer of skin, thats my thinking anywey. Even though it was only 12 miles the camelbak felt much more comfortable than wearing a t-shirt.

Finally even though I was feeling fairly fresh from the taper I wanted to stick to a pace I think I can hold in the 50 mile. The good news was that it was very comfortable, what I'd be thinking 25-30 miles down the line I'm not sure but I think I'll give it a go. The worst thing that could happen is that I'm ridiculously fatigued and have to slow down. If I slow down it really doesn't matter, the only thing I'm nervous about is the fear of the unknown as I havn't tackled this distance before.

Taper summary for last week:-
Sunday - 17mile very slow
Monday - 6mile fartlek
Tuesday - 5 mile slow
Wednesday - 4 mile, 6-8 intervals 30-1 min @ about 10k pace (maybe a little slower just to stride out a bit)
Thurs- 2 x 3mile
Friday - Off
Saturday 6mile easy

Total - 44miles (85% very easy)

This week I'm going to run 2-4 miles up up until wed, 2 rest days to carb load the run 2-3 sat morning, all really easy.

Treated myself last night to a monster piece of gammon. Certainly reminded me of university days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment