Monday 22 August 2011

Peaks 40mile - disappointing

My attempt racing in the 40miles in the Peak District was a disappointment. 25 miles in and an injury caused me to pull out. So disappointed, I've never had a DNF before and felt really good, I was definitely catching the 5 in front of me. I had guesstimated 5 hours 45mins but you can never tell in these races because of the terrain etc but after seeing the winning time of 5.47 I was gutted. I probably wouldn't have won but I was going strong and catching people ahead fast so was a shame to get an injury. How ever one thing you can't know in these long races is how you will feel late on, maybe I would have hit a really bad patch, slowed down and been nearer 6hrs or something but will never know for this one. At the end of the day I got a DNF so that's the end of it.

What I am sure of is that after a little rest period for a few weeks to let my leg heel and then X train to give me that mental break from running, I'll be back, enter the Coastal Challenge and do well in that.

Unfort not much in the way of a race blog today, arrrgghhh.....so frustrating!

I mentioned I was going to attempt negative splits every 10m - well I did for the first 2 then had to withdraw, I think it's definitely something I'd like to try again. Early door I was way down the field and it was really hard to let people run off at the start, but had to keep telling myself they'll slow (unless there awesome!). Got to the first checkpoint in 12th/13th, by 20miles I was in 7/8th and feeling strong - Past another two then had to withdraw. Got picked up by the Marshall, humiliated by having a lift to the 3rd checkpoint and past 4 of the 5 ahead of me together hardly ahead of me at all. By the end the leader had slowed a lot and one of the 4 over took him so it was a shame about the injury but that's life! Like I said earlier though, I may well have slowed in the later stages too, what I think doesn't count, I was out and others weren't it's just one of those things.

Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment