Friday 2 September 2011

Taking it easy (easier)

Since the last ultra, hurting my hamstring and getting a DNF in a race I felt I was capable of winning I've taken things a bit easier, even though I've still trained most days, I've mixed things up with Cross fit, cycling. In fact I've only run about 15miles in two weeks but I need it more than anything, I'm drained from huge amounts of training and looking back over the year it's been one thing after the other so I've always been in the training zone and until now realised I just couldn't switch off, knowing in the back of my mind I had something to train for.

Don't get me wrong I love competing and I love ultras but it's a huge huge commitment and I think its caught up with me. So, at the moment I'm thinking I may not enter the coastal challenge in November, drop the milage a bit and mix things up a little with cross fit, cycling, rowing or whatever else takes my fancy. Emphasising my whole training on intensity and including some more strength and conditioning. I want to switch off from the ultras for a few months then come marathon season next Easter, really really smash a fast marathon then get back in to the ultras. Basically unless I'm able to train 100% and actually improve I'm not that interested, it's winning or putting so much in to it that there is nothing left to give. At the moment I'm not, I need a rest from the mileage.

This is not to say I wont be training because training is just what I do but just want to do more of what I fancy and concentrate on intensity and speed for a while. E.g. the other day I did a tough circuit then just ran 1mile and left nothing in the tank, I pushed it so hard was exhausted and had done less than 25mins of work. That was brilliant and exactly what I fancy at the moment.

It feels like there's a weight off my shoulders that there is no huge events coming up. I usually thrive off the events but for a while I'm happy to be able to just train how I like without it taking over. Until I recover, get the hunger back and hit it hard as possible again, I think it's a case of one step back to take two forward.

I cant wait to be back but for now I need to chill out a bit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment