Monday 15 August 2011

Gadgets, top of the range equipment and expensive fridle fradle!

I read an article in a magazine last week about someone using all the latest gadgets and expensive things to basically track his whole life. He used £300+ watches, online scales about food, some machine about water intake, running gait and even some headband that woke him up after the exact amount of sleep!

Granted all the results were really interesting and would be pretty interesting to do for a short period but god, it's all too much and I know people who do this sort of thing, it rarely last more than a week or two and results in people just going back the way the were - sedentary/lazy or whatever you want to call it.

It all frustrates me slightly as it's all money making. Some of the most in shape people I know are the ones who rarely use any fancy gadgets and just work out for the love of it. An example for me was yesterday, I entered a local cycle race. It wasn't big scale but there were some pricey bikes on the start line, my road bike is there one I use to travel around has a slightly worn chain and was bout £500, which in biking terms is cheap. Anyway I was 3rd, watched on as some guys got there sport supplement down them asap! Where as I just ate a chicken and spinach sandwich. Next week I'm running this ultra, probably in a pair of slightly ripped trainers as there the most comfy, I'm not sure I've given enough time to wear my new ones in and nutra grain for fuel. The last time I did strength and conditioning I used a Keg, tractor tyre, a pull up bar, an oil drum filled with water and an Olympic bar as my most fancy of equipment. Basic as it comes, touch wood I'm fairly healthy and able to keep active most days.

As nice as some of the gadgets are, they are no way essential and no way replace good old hard work and consistency.

My advice is use what you can, when you can, use your imagination and work hard and leave the luxury's as luxury's unless your lucky enough to be able to afford them. That and find a balance. If training becomes a chore, take a break or try something different, just when you train for a goal - train hard! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment