Monday 4 July 2011

Great weekend in the outdoors

With the amazing weather we had over the weekend and the fact that I wasn't working until the evening (Yes, working Saturday and Sunday night :( I decided to get ditched a in Fishguard and make my way home via the coastal path.

Camelbak, supplies and sun cream!! I set off with the main idea of just treating it like an adventure, no panic about speed. This was proven when I stopped to take a photo and stopped in a shop to get some fluids. In the end I covered 20miles but walked a fair bit because in a couple weeks me and a friend are going to cover the Ceredigion Coastal Path which is 60miles, my mate hasn't been running long and is training for his first marathon but fancies this - I'll be honest I'm more than up for it. Were not going to do it all in one go mind, going to make a weekend of it and have an over night stop half way. So, with that explained I added a bit of walking in to the 20 mile to remind me how I'd feel next day, during it and to get an idea of how long each day will take.

Firstly we can walk lots if we wanted and still easily cover 30miles a day so thats good. Secondly I was fine after 20mile and the endurance side of me really showed when yesterday I went back on the coastal path and ran about 11 miles - the second day I was going at a good pace and pushing it so it's good. Seems like the fitness is slowly coming back but it's definitely not there yet!

The only issue on Saturday was that I left it at 20 miles because I ran out of water. In the heat it drained me pretty fast so decided to stop before I was became a mess! Thats a bit of a problem on the path, it's so rural that if you see a shop you need to re-fuel on water or anything else you feel you need.

After Sundays run I spent the afternoon kayaking. We made a c**k up and ended up paddling the way back up the river which was frustratingly tough but for some reason I could'nt stop laughing. As if I love the pain of a challenge ha ha.

Just to end, next Saturday 9th July entries for the rowing competition are filling up so if your going to enter on the day, please register between 9-9.30am at Cardigan Leisure Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment