Thursday 28 July 2011

3 weeks until next event

Since the coastal path last week I've hit it very hard and looking to keep it up before a mini taper before my next event. It's not going to be a typical three week taper, one reason being that this event (40miles) isn't one of my 'target' events but just an event to test out some new methods and techniques. Not to say I wont be trying to smash it!! A race is a race but I wont be worrying too much about how it goes etc.

By the end of the event (August 21st) i'll have strung together a good 8 week training block so will have a week off running and just X train and actually rest just re-charge before the coastal challenge end of Novemeber.

One of the main reasons I've really stated to enjoy ultra running is because each event actually means something, as well as this after a good training block it's a good chance to take a little time off post event to catch up with 'real life stuff' that most people seem to enjoy, nights out with friends. Secondly these big endurance events means I can Xtrain more often, one because things like strength and conditioning is needed as well as the things such as cycling/rowing or any other sport infact keeps it all fresh, and let's be honest, as an ultra runner (if I can call myself that) unless you'r feeling fresh and really enjoying it how on earth can you go out and train for hours!! Another reason I really like these 'challenges' is, without being cheesy, really does make you feel alive and to me is one of the most rewarding things you can do.

This week has seen me rise just before 6am every morning so far just to train my ass off! I've got some cyclying in, some strength and conditioning as well as the main thing, the run in in abundance training for about two and a half hours each morning as well as a small evening session Monday and tonight. All this because over the next five weeks I've got a job doing sports some kids. This in the mornings as well as my job in the afternoon untill 9.30pm means the next few weeks is gonna be pretty full on. Basically the 'I have no time to work out' excuse is a load of rubbish! If you want to look after yourself make time, it only needs to be 30mins. If I can get 2-3hrs in a day most days whilst working 10am to 9.30pm more or less then other have time.

Tommorow morning mind I have the morning off work so I'm going to stay away from the run and either cycle easy or take the morning off. Up to about 43miles of running since the weekend so target to get it up to nearer 70 by Sunday as well as one strength and conditioning workout.

Been hearing a lot recently about the Ironman thats coming to Tenby (Just down the road). This is mamouth and I wont lie I'm so tempted to make this my 'big' event for 2012. Only issue is I cant swim very well, seriously I'm terrible and I don't like it but the whole event is so tempting, and so hard so I love it.

We shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment